There are several reasons why some people want a smile makeover. What they usually have in common is that they don’t feel confident about their smile. It could be because of a gummy smile or teeth that are misaligned, stained, chipped, broken, or have gaps in between. Here are some of the common treatments in cosmetic dentistry, which aims at creating a positive change to your teeth and smile:
1. Teeth Whitening. There are two ways to whiten your teeth. You can have that perfect white smile either by removing the enamel surface stains or changing the dentin color. Many over-the-counter bleaching kits work to remove surface stains. If used regularly, these products often result in your teeth becoming a shade or two lighter. On the other hand, professional teeth whitening can offer more dramatic results. On-the-go disposable trays and custom take-home trays that use teeth-whitening gel can make your teeth seven shades lighter. These results even last for up to a couple of years or longer.
2. Tooth Bonding. An effective way to repair chipped, cracked, or broken teeth is through tooth bonding. Here, your dentist will apply a tooth-colored resin to your damaged tooth and then hardens it with a special blue light. This bonds the durable plastic material to the tooth, restoring your beautiful smile.
3. Dental Crowns. These may be used to improve the strength of your damaged tooth or change its size or appearance. A crown is a type of cap that is generally made of resin, metal, ceramic, or porcelain bonded to metal. It’s placed over a broken or severely worn-down tooth.
4. Veneers. There are two primary types of cosmetic dentistry correction. Porcelain veneers are made of porcelain bonded with cement to the tooth’s outer surface. Because of porcelain’s translucent properties, your porcelain veneers will catch light similar to the way natural teeth do. They are stain-resistant but not reversible. On the other hand, composite veneers are made of resin affixed to the tooth’s outer surface. Your dentist will match the resin to the shade of your surrounding teeth to get a natural look. You can have your composite veneers in one visit. They are less expensive than the porcelain and can be reversed if you’re unhappy with the outcome.
5. Invisalign®. This is a type of orthodontic treatment that is designed to straighten teeth. If your misalignment problem is not that bad, Invisalign could be your best option. Many people also opt for this treatment, which is made of flexible, thermoplastic material, because they don’t like the discomfort and inconvenience associated with traditional metal braces. Invisalign are clear, removable aligners that are comfortable to wear and look more natural than metal braces.
These common cosmetic dentistry techniques are usually used in combination for a total smile makeover. Do you want to improve your smile and overall appearance? At Perkins Dental Care, we offer all of these services and more. For more information about common treatments in a smile makeover, please call Perkins Dental Care in Baton Rouge, LA at (225) 666-1565.